Dozens of Egyptians staged a sit-in at Libyan border crossings Wednesday night after the Libya’s authorities denied them access to the country.
Protesters who spoke to Al-Masry Al-Youm said they have visas from the Libyan Embassy in Cairo, adding that Egyptian authorities had allowed them to cross via Salloum after checking work their contracts for employers in Libya.
They also claim Libyan officers at the border insulted and assaulted them and said they are now waiting for a response from the Egyptian Foreign Ministry.
According to regulations put in place by Libyan authorities last month, Egyptians must need official visas to enter Libyan territory.
In response to these new regulations, residents of the western cities of Salloum and Sidi Barrani blocked the highway leading to Libya on 19 February.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm