Egypt Independent

Interior Ministry says burglars of nuclear site arrested



Egypt's Interior Ministry announced on Monday it had arrested two people for alleged involvement in stealing equipment from Dabaa, the site of the country's planned nuclear power station, northwest of Cairo. 

Security sources told Al-Masry Al-Youm that the two, hardware traders aged 32 and 67, have been detained for four days pending investigation. Security authorities are ratcheting up efforts to apprehend the rest of the suspects, the sources said.

The same sources revealed that the two suspects sought the help of Bedouins in the heist, and that the stolen items are worth of LE8 million.

The first suspect was convicted previously for five thefts, while the other had been sentenced to ten years for fraudulent use of a LE1 million cheque.

Last August, former President Mubarak ended a longtime controversy by selecting Dabaa as the location for Egypt’s first nuclear-powered electrical station. But the site was looted in January.

Shortly after, the same area witnessed clashes between military forces and citizens decrying the project’s potential environmental hazards.

Translated from Al-Masry Al-Youm