These little pitas are the perfect way to join protein and veggies in a low commitment, kid friendly sandwich. Pick up whole wheat mini pitas from a supermarket with a bakery that bakes them–Alfa is one. Feel free to use chicken left over from dinner the night before and for less early morning hassle, make peanut chicken at night and just fill sandwiches in the morning.
1 cup cooked chicken breast meat or skinless breast of a rotisserie chicken
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp rice or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped celery
1 tablespoon grated carrots
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds (for decoration, mainly)
As many mini pitas as you need!
- Shred and chop chicken meat (no skin) into small pieces.
- In a bowl, combine peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar.
- Mix in chicken pieces and add carrots and celery.
- Refrigerate covered overnight (not necessary if you want to make these in the morning).
- Fill mini pitas with peanut chicken and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.