Egypt Independent

Mubarak trial resumes Wednesday amid increased security



Ousted Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak arrived Wednesday morning at the Police Academy to face another session of his ongoing murder and corruption trial.

Other defendants, including former Interior Minister Habib al-Adly, his top aides and businessman Hussein Salem, are also accused of abusing power, squandering public funds and involvement in the killing of protesters during the January uprising that ended Mubarak's rule.

The trials were halted three months ago after the plaintiffs' lawyers requested that the presiding judges be replaced. Another court turned down the request earlier this month.

The helicopter carrying the ailing president landed at the academy at 9 am, after which an ambulance surrounded by armored vehicles drove Mubarak to the courtroom.

The other defendants were brought in from Tora Prison.

Dozens whose family members were killed in the protests rallied outside the court, calling for retribution and hoisting posters of their deceased. The families called for faster prosecution of those accused of killing demonstrators as well as the removal of Adly-era officials from the Interior Ministry.

A smaller group also gathered at the academy to express solidarity with the former president and tout his innocence. The academy has beefed up security to prevent clashes between demonstrators.

The Ministry of Health said it has provided 14 ambulances and two makeshift clinics near the court and Assistant Health Minister Adel al-Adawy said nearby hospitals have also been put on alert.

Translated from Al-Masry Al-Youm