This Ramadan, the food section of Al-Masry Al-Youm English Edition is all about the recipes. Whether or not this month is about fasting for you, iftar can still be enjoyed by all.
The first Ramadan dish is a delicious choice for the first iftar of the year:
1 pot cooked Egyptian rice
½ kg chicken breasts, chopped up in strips
2 loaves of "balady" bread (Egyptian pita bread)
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped very small
1 red bell pepper, chopped very small
1 cup of almonds–slivered
6 cloves of garlic–smashed
1 pot of yoghurt
1 cup of sour cream
1. Fry the bread in a little butter and a little oil until crunchy.
2. Cook the chicken–grill if you have the chance, or just fry with very little oil on the stove.
3. Mix the yoghurt, sour cream and 4 cloves of garlic together.
4. Start layering in a deep glass casserole dish–first the bread at the bottom, then a layer of rice, then the yoghurt/sour cream mixture.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons of butter on the stove and toss in the 4 remaining cloves of garlic, bell peppers and almonds. Fry until garlic and almonds are golden.
5. Pour over the yoghurt and serve!
We would like to know what you are eating so please share recipes! We will be sharing ours in the food section and on our Ramadan page. Please send us your favorite recipes and a picture of either the recipe or an ingredient (or the whole process!) to [email protected], or upload your pictures with the recipe as the caption to the Al-Masry Al-Youm English Edition flickr group Ramadan Recipes.