Egypt Independent

Update: No deaths in train crash, ministry says



The Health Ministry announced that no one was killed when a passenger train was derailed and caught fire in Giza on Tuesday.

The ministry said that there were four injuries, contrary to earlier reports that 20 people had been injured.

The head of Egypt’s ambulance services, Ahmed al-Ansari, said in a statement that the injured people sustained bruises and were treated at the scene.

The train was heading from Cairo to Sohag, Upper Egypt, state-owned Al-Ahram newspaper reported, adding that the accident took place in the Badrasheen neighborhood in southern Giza.

Five train cars overturned when the train collided with another that was stopped at the Badrasheen station.

Eyewitnesses told Al-Masry Al-Youm that the accident was caused by an error in the track switch, while Al-Masry Al-Youm’s correspondent, who was on board of one of the trains, said the collision occurred in the rear cars.

There have been reports of casualties, which the Giza governor said he could not yet confirm.

A source at the Railways Authority claimed to Al-Ahram that the second train had to stop for the first to pass but the passengers did not want to wait and got out and switched the tracks, leading to the collision.